• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

250 Gallon Build Thread

Hawkman2000

Members
I had my doubts at first, but it is looking very good.

Are you going to sand and refinish it? HomeDepot has clear acrylic spray that has worked well for me in the past.

Many that things is coming together very well for you. You really stepped out there considering how bad the thing looked up front, cant wait to see the finished product.

davidhusker

Members
I know it is risky, but I think the benefits outweigh the dangers. I used the Kilz Premium base coat sealer.

633e872a-0460-4183-9fa6-7f2bea97ab14_400.jpg

I went with this due to it's waterproofing and mildew/mold resistance. It's almost as if I triple proofed the mold out. I sanded it all down, I cleaned it with mold cleaner, then cleaned with bleach, and now covering with mildew protectant.

Here are some photos of the completed coat. I am not going to re-coat and I am not going to paint a different color. It's the inside of the stand, and the purpose is not to look good, but to serve a purpose.

The risk I do run into potentially is having some wood chip off somehow and it falling into my sump and contaminating the water (mildew stuff). The sumps do have covers and the coat is a good seal so I am not too worried, just something I need to keep an eye on at the start.

Sorry had to use flash on my phone so it looks super white.

IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

londonloco

Members
Reefers use Kilz all the time for the inside of their stands. I'm currently finishing a stand, but used a bonding primer recommended to me by a friend. I'm sure you'll be fine....

davidhusker

Members
I had my doubts at first, but it is looking very good.

Are you going to sand and refinish it? HomeDepot has clear acrylic spray that has worked well for me in the past.

The outside will be refinished and painted black. I am going to try to just paint over whats there. The good, I guess is that the current color is a stain. So there is no coat or paint that sealed it so every surface is still wood rough to the touch. So I am HOPING that I can use the current cherry stain as a sort of primer. Being that black will be covering, I am assuming it should block any show through. I do think I will have to do two coats.

Next up is the bottom molding. I went with real wood molding. After looking at it i think just a nice piece of 3x1 wood would have worked. For the molding I need to cut the three pieces of trim that are on each end and the middle off at about 3" from the ground. Then attach molding and prep for paint.

davidhusker

Members
Reefers use Kilz all the time for the inside of their stands. I'm currently finishing a stand, but used a bonding primer recommended to me by a friend. I'm sure you'll be fine....

Thanks for the info, it is very thick. I had some on my arms and fingers. Unlike typical paint, this stuff was like a "goo" and it bonded to my arm hair like super glue. So I did cry a little removing it. J/k

AquaStudent

Members
This is progressing nicely. A solid black stand would look nice. That'd be easier than trying to restore the wood sheen too.

Hawkman2000

Members
Inside looks good to go. WOW

I think you will have an issue with paint sticking to stain/varnish/polyurethane without sanding/priming.

Eyebedam

Members
You sure have put a lot of work into that stand & it seems to be coming along nicely.. It looks to me like its a glass cages stand, if so they are built pretty solid.

I hope you got a great deal & or renegotiated the original deal after everything you uncovered when you went to pick it up.. Really looking forward to how this progresses.

davidhusker

Members
Another Update:

Molding is on and done. You can see where I had to cut the vertical molding. The original stand never had base molding, but I think it gives it a nice symmetry to the top of the stand which has a 4" molding also.

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

As you can see I have put it up on cinder blocks to prep for cleaning and paint.
I did get most of it painted today and will update with pictures tomorrow. It came out looking really nice.

davidhusker

Members
You sure have put a lot of work into that stand & it seems to be coming along nicely.. It looks to me like its a glass cages stand, if so they are built pretty solid.

I hope you got a great deal & or renegotiated the original deal after everything you uncovered when you went to pick it up.. Really looking forward to how this progresses.

It is actually a GC tank and stand.

I got $300 off and pretty much got them to move it for me. Unfortunately I had to do all the cleaning and repair.

Eyebedam

Members
It is actually a GC tank and stand.

I got $300 off and pretty much got them to move it for me. Unfortunately I had to do all the cleaning and repair.

I figured as much when I saw the holes drilled in the top of the stand for the bulkhead/piping... Complete PITA if you ask me... However the stand & tank are built like tanks & crazy heavy. I've had 1 of his tank for about 8 years now & couldn't be happier... Looks like your making great progress & can't wait to see the finished project...

davidhusker

Members
So i drove all over yesterday looking for paint and finally ended up at Sherwin Williams as I was looking for a black base, not a white base with tons of black dye. So I got 2 quarts and was a little nervous about having enough. But let me say this. WOW. I got two full coats of paint and used maybe 3/4 of 1 quart of this stuff. I wasnt skimping, it just covers very well. I think the foam roller and brush helped me out here too. But I will surely go back to SW if I need paint in the future.

Anyhow this stand is now taking up the whole garage practically so that's why I am trying to get it moved and setup down in my basement. I set out the stand doors, canopy, etc. out for paint and went at it. I got it to my liking and will be moving it down and ready to go soon.

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

davidhusker

Members
The stand is now in the house. I will try and get the tank figured out this weekend. Still would need bulkheads but I will at least get some of the sump work and plumbing setup.

I have no idea how I am going to move the tank inside, It's on a cart I built, but the middle wheels already stripped out the screws and fell off. I do have a couple carts which I used for my 210 and stuff but this tank has probably twice the glass.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looking really good, David. Personally, I'd be fine with leaving the inside of the stand white as it's always so dark under big tanks anyway.

I have no idea how I am going to move the tank inside, It's on a cart I built, but the middle wheels already stripped out the screws and fell off. I do have a couple carts which I used for my 210 and stuff but this tank has probably twice the glass.

That's my biggest reason for not super-sizing the 180. Moving giant tanks sucks.

davidhusker

Members
I'm still here trying to finish this thing.
On Wednesday I got the sumps down in the basement and put in some glass to make them more of an actual wet/dry and not just a tank. I might have to play with it a little once it gets up and running but I think this should do the trick. Water simply passes through bio balls and media and flows over to the pump area. The two sumps will be connected via that pvc as I am using two different size pumps. They were already plumbed this way with bulkheads, etc so it's no work for me. (I had to cut it to fit it in my suv) I actually did already get the filter media and bio balls setup but didnt get a picture. There is egg crate that sits on top of that little pvc piece you see.

IMAG0428.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]