PORET USE IN FLUVALS FX5

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Would anyone know if poret can be used as a substitute/replacement for the 6 foam pads? would this work or cause a clogging issue? im curious but dont want to cause a problem or have to clean the fx5 more frequently.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I use it in my Eheims and SunSun canister, so I expect it would work, as long as the pores are not too small.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think it would depend on the PPI (density) of the poret. Fine will clog constantly. Coarse less often.

I try to clean the foam in my FX5 pretty frequently. Dirty sponge = nitrate...

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
I was going to use some in my filters, too. Do folks know what Poret PPI works best in something like a canister filter? Is there an advantage to layering a coarser foam in front of a finer foam...or is the bacterial growth (vs. debris from the tank) going to be the major clogging factor?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I generally layer coarse foam, then fine foam to trap the larger chunks of crud, then the smaller. If you do it the other way around, the filter will get clogged very quickly.

Pretty sure that the bacteria is all microscopic and lives in/on the detritus. Any crud you shake/wring out contains bacteria, but there's plenty left on the pad itself (so long as you keep it wet and don't clean with chlorinated or hot water).

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Is there any real benefit from using poret foam versus the foam that comes with the FX5? I know that it is all about surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on, but if you are running the filter with the stock foam and ammonia and nitrites are zero, what would the poret do for you?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
John, you're right I think.

When the same density/PPI (pores per inch) is considered, foam is foam. It will have the same surface area.

The only things that you cold swap up would be putting in larger-pore foam first to trap larger debris (and allow more smaller debris through) and a smaller-pore foam second (to trap finer stuff/polish the water more.

I don't have an FX5, but I think it would be a series of tradeoffs between efficiency and frequency of required cleanings.

I do think that Fluval probably spent a lot of money in R&D, getting just the right foam size for optimum performance. With that in mind, I'd probably only swap out their factory foam for economy reasons... or because I needed a new sponge and had other foam lying around.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Is there any real benefit from using poret foam versus the foam that comes with the FX5? I know that it is all about surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on, but if you are running the filter with the stock foam and ammonia and nitrites are zero, what would the poret do for you?
i was trying to get a better foam then whats offered for replacements. the piece of poret i have was cheaper then boxes of sponges. i also remembered how long the foam lasts and i wanna see for myself what this foam is about. during a presentation last year someone mentioned they dont touch it in their tanks. dont think i can do that or i would want to but i wanna see the benefits if any.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I generally layer coarse foam, then fine foam to trap the larger chunks of crud, then the smaller. If you do it the other way around, the filter will get clogged very quickly.

Pretty sure that the bacteria is all microscopic and lives in/on the detritus. Any crud you shake/wring out contains bacteria, but there's plenty left on the pad itself (so long as you keep it wet and don't clean with chlorinated or hot water).
Agreed. I've used both 10 and 20 PPI in my filters without problem. I'd be careful about the 30 PPI, however. I think that might clog pretty quickly.

I just cleaned out my Eheim 2211 that's been running 7 or 8 months with some Poret in it. The flow was still good, although I use a prefilter on the intake and clean approximately monthly. If I didn't use a prefilter, I think I'd need to clean the filter more often, and I'm lazy, so I don't like that.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I use sponge pre-filters on canisters so they can go longer between cleanings...and don't become full of poop...

Matt

Agreed. I've used both 10 and 20 PPI in my filters without problem. I'd be careful about the 30 PPI, however. I think that might clog pretty quickly.

I just cleaned out my Eheim 2211 that's been running 7 or 8 months with some Poret in it. The flow was still good, although I use a prefilter on the intake and clean approximately monthly. If I didn't use a prefilter, I think I'd need to clean the filter more often, and I'm lazy, so I don't like that.