Live food

gwand

CCA Members
Anyone know a tropical fish store in the Baltimore Washington area that sell live food? I don’t want to set up cultures.

Last edited:

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I can ship daphnia and microworm or vinegar eels to you each culture costs $5 and shipping is probably $20 but I need your zip code to confirm. I usually ship five bags of daphnia for $35 and each bag contains over 1000 daphnia.

gwand

CCA Members
I can ship daphnia and microworm or vinegar eels to you each culture costs $5 and shipping is probably $20 but I need your zip code to confirm. I usually ship five bags of daphnia for $35 and each bag contains over 1000 daphnia.
My zip 21117. How perishable are 5 bags of daphnia? Are they stored at room temperature or in refrigerator? Thanks

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Confirmed coast is $15 for shipping. The daphnia normally should last around 4 to 5 days in the bag. Daphnia like water which is slightly hard but do not like added water treatment additive like dechlor. Old tank water is often best. I feed daphnia powdered dry fish food.
If you want purchase, I accept PayPal or zelle. My account for both is aquaticlifefarm@gmail.com I will need your address.

gwand

CCA Members
Daphnia are best kept between 68 an 78F
I will probably place an order in around 2 weeks. I have a 60 gallon tank with 6 Anomalochromis thomasi (butterfly cichlids), 2 Pelvicachromis pulcher and 6 yellow tail tetras. Would one bag for the tank be a good feeding? Too much? Too little? I never fed my fish live daphnia before.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Fish tend to eat all the daphnia you feed. So it is great to get them is spawning condition. If you just want to suppliment their diet, feed only enough so each fish gets a few daphnia daily or every other day.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Most likely it is overnight but is $15 for Priority Mail. and if the distance within the Baltimore, Washington DC, and Fairfax or close to those cities it will like be delivered the next day.