Chesapeake Bay Oyster Reef Biotope Aquarium

Kevin Wilson

CCA Members
Hi Everyone.

I spoke at a recent meeting about my tank and really appreciated the warm welcome. I had a great time. Anyway, since then CCA organized a collecting trip for this Sunday and I thought that I'd share the most recent update of my tank. Most of the species you see in this video can be collected this weekend, except for the gorgonian whip coral and the hermit crabs, which are found further South in the VA section of the Bay.

My expensive Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro LED light crapped out on me after 2 years of use, so sorry for the rough lighting in this video. It made my tank beautiful while it worked, but now it's a pile of junk. I'm going to send it back for repair, but of course, I bought it in 2014 and the warranty had expired long ago even though I didn't start using it until 2022. I'm really disappointed. We'll see what happens with the repair saga. If the results aren't satisfactory, then my next fixture will be another brand for sure.

About the tank. I collected a lot more hermit crabs and they really make the tank and bottom come alive. They're so active. I'm thrilled as I found several good collecting spots. I also collected an NPS whip coral (Leptogorgia virgulata) which is really cool. I guess my tank is now a real reef tank LOL. Any tips on whip coral husbandry will be much appreciated.

I hope you enjoy the video update!