Canon 40d

Tim

Members
I know most of you folks are big Nikon fans, but already having invested in some expensive glass for my Canon, I've been reading the reviews on the 40D.
I'm considering upgrading from my 20D and was wondering if anyone has picked one up and tried it out yet.
Tim

From what I have read, it would be a positive move. Similar to us Nikonians upgrading from the D70 to the D200.

However, the 20D is a great camera body. If you already have all the glass you need, then yes, go for the 40D body as an upgrade to your arsenal. But for me, if there was another lens I needed that would compliment my bag, and my budget dictated between new body or new lens, I would invest in the lens.

Here is a thread over at the Aquatic Photography Forum discussing the same scenario:

http://aquatic-photography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10348

Tim

Members
Bobby,

Thanks for the link. My biggest problem with my 20D is the back focusing. For fish pics at aperatures from 11 - 22 it's not an issue. When trying to shoot deer in low light situations with an aperature of 2.8, it becomes a huge deal. The biggest problem is, since I don't own a 400mm 2.8 and can't justify spending the money, you can't see the slightly out of focus problems until the pictures are on the computer.
Wildlife and portrait shooting would be the big reasons for the upgrade for me. Plus, the ISO listed in the viewfinder. In the 20D, the ISO isn't shown in the viewfinder. I don't know how many times I've taken shots at 800 ISO then forgot to change back afterwards.
I don't have all the glass I need, but I intend to purchase new glass as well. Right now I'm trying to decide on 40D or 5D. 5D is full frame but costs a lot more, and I don't do a lot of landscape photopgraphy, more telephoto. So at this point the 40D sounds like the best choice. I'm just waiting unil more people are using it to hear more reviews than just those Canon geeks who love everything Canon does. :D
Tim