• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cryptoheros Nanoluteus

I purchased a breeding pair. I have them in a very overfiltered 40B. the tank has wood, rocks, and black sand. I am wondering if there are any special instructions for keeping this fish. Can I put a couple of Sajicas in with them or am I asking for trouble? Current?

rich_one

Members
I think you may be asking for trouble in terms of hybridization at the very least. I believe sajicas and nanoluteus can crossbreed (not 100% positive, but I think they can). As for aggression, I cannot say. I'm sure others will chime in though. Pics of the nanoluteus!

-Rich

spazmattik

Members
I would think aggression would be a problem especially with the similarities. When i kept them, the seemed pretty tough

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would not keep both species in the same tank. In my experience, nanoleuteus are the meekest of the cryptoheros. I never had any luck with keeping them with other cichlids. I would only keep them in a tank where they were the only cichlid.

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1

Nanoluteus can be really shy. Some livebearers would be perfect tankmates.

In my experience they like a pretty calm tank - not sure what "overfiltered" means but I've had good luck keeping and breeding them with a slowly bubbling sponge and a box filter with a little more air. Massive flow isn't needed.

After a couple of years and several spawns, the male of my pair killed the female a few months ago. Growing out a couple of little ones to make another pair but having a decent-sized female (i.e. has a spot on her dorsal) would accelerate the process. Anyone have a spare?

Matt

I would not keep both species in the same tank. In my experience, nanoleuteus are the meekest of the cryptoheros. I never had any luck with keeping them with other cichlids. I would only keep them in a tank where they were the only cichlid.

Thanks guys. I'm about to move the Sajicas. Over filtered is a Penguin 350 and a Fluval 405. Of course the flow is turned down on the 405. I'll have to set my Sajicas up in a 29 like my CHETS or clear out my other 40B.

Where did you get your nanoleuteus? Love to keep a pair with my cryptoheros panamensis pair which make good yellow and red color contrast. Do you think they will get along in a 75 gal with a lot of rock work, or need bigger tank. I don't worry about crossing as long as they have their own mate.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Where did you get your nanoleuteus? Love to keep a pair with my cryptoheros panamensis pair which make good yellow and red color contrast. Do you think they will get along in a 75 gal with a lot of rock work, or need bigger tank. I don't worry about crossing as long as they have their own mate.

As I said above, I wouldn't keep the nanos with any other cichlids. Panamensis are pretty rough customers, even in a 75 gallon tank. Nanos are best kept to their own tank.