• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Update on my altum angles

etu1002

Members
It's been almost 1 and half year since I acquired these altum angelfish. They were around size of a quarter when they arrived and some of them were in pretty bad shape. At first, I raised them in distilled water and used peat and almond leaves to lower the pH. I now have 5 of them and they have perfectly adapted to tap water over here. Some of them are bigger than my palm. I was told they can grow as big as 12 inches tall. Guess they still have a lot of growing to do. They live in a 90 gallon tank with cories, geophagus tapajos, bristlenose and ivanacara adoketa.

Before

Now

JasonC

Members
There is something so elegant about wild type angels. Sometimes un-fooled-around-with is just the way to go. Great fish, great tank!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Altums are stunning! Congrats on your success.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Love it.
And you were able to condition them to tap water?? How long did it take to do so? And what are the current water conditions? pH? Hardness?

I'd like to try to keep altums. Tried once with very small ones but was not successful.

etu1002

Members
Thanks for the comments guys. Frank, it took me about 6 months to condition them to tap water. For the first two months, I used neat distiller water and after that I increased the percentage of tap by 25% every month when i did water change. The ph of my tap is around 7.5 but not sure about the hardness. I also used tap to keep my African cichlids so I guess it's not too soft. I would say the first one or two months is a hurdle for keeping these guys. I lost 5 fish during this period. Once they survived, they were as hardy as regular angels.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I've seen them in person... they are magnificent fish. :)

Keep it up, Eric.