• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mesoheros Atromaculatum

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I picked up a group of atros from Rapps at the BFD in March. These have been one of my bucket list fish for a long while. I lost one shortly after bringing them home, but the other five have been steadily growing. I moved them into a 75 this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shawnc

Members
I had a breeding group years ago when they were still placed as part of Cichlasoma. I was told and I can believe it that they establish a large territory that is about 2 meters in diameter ( 6 1/2 foot diameter) or larger in which the male finds or places a smooth rock at the middle, cleans it to attract a female and they spawn on that. In the case of the pair I got to spawn the female dug a pit in the gravel right below the rock and once the babies were free swimming she would gather them in that pit for safety.

Hiding places are the right way to go until you figure which are a pair. At that point I would take out the other males so that the pair don't kill the others and the fry will not be eaten.

My pair spawn at around the size of yours but really got it right when the male was about 8 inches and the female 6+.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks for the input, Shawn. There isn't a lot of info out on the internet about these fish. I'm aware of only two people who have had successful spawn recently (David in the CCA and James Decker down in New Orleans). Glad to hear that folks used to have success breeding them. I'm hoping for the best.