• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

We have EGGS-exC.Atromaculatus

D-money

Members
Woohoo..came home from work to find the female Atro guarding eggs. Those of you not into the new world fish, this is a very rare event with only a handful of documented breeding over the years that I can find. Keep your fingers crossed that I get wigglers in a few days.

Very psyched....:D...I'll try to sneak a picture.

D-money

Members
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Really bad pic (slate is ac[FONT=&quot]tual[FONT=&quot]ly[/FONT] hori[FONT=&quot]zontal)[/FONT][/FONT] but those tan things are Atro eggs[/FONT] being guarded by[FONT=&quot] the female while the male keeps the tank mates away.[/FONT]Atro eggs.jpg
[/FONT]

Atro eggs.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Congrats on the spawn. Keep us posted on how things progress.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

D-money

Members
Should I pull the eggs or leave them with the parents at this point? There's about 40-50 currently.

blkmjk

Members
Leave them with mom and dad! Congratulations been trying to get my hands on these for a while now. How has the pair been together? How big are they?

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Congrats! Make sure you record your efforts. Not many folks have been successful breeding these.

Good luck rearing the fry. I'll trade you my female for some little ones if they make it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

D-money

Members
The pair is about 2-3 yrs old with the male being 9-10" and the female 5-6" currently in a 75G with a 12" Synspilium. (he was in my 150g that recently sprung a leak and I had no where else to put him)

I'm keeping a log on temp/water parameter/etc and trying to document the color/pattern changes that the fish have undergone. Its actually pretty remarkable.

blkmjk

Members
That is a surprisingly small tank. I know people who couldn't keep them in a 210 and deal with their aggression towards each other. Very impressive! Can we see some shots of your tank?

Drew

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Maybe the Synspilium had something to do with it... give them a common enemy and reduce aggression between the pair. I'd leave him in there as long as you can as a target fish. He's big and won't get hurt. So long as he doesn't become the aggressor.

(Just guessing though)

Cheers.

D-money

Members
Drew, Interesting...maybe these 2 are just mello for the species. I did make it a point to introduce them very slowly over the course of months before the divider was removed. Even then, I left the "safe room" in the tank in the form of pvc pipe large enough for the female but too small for the male.