• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

T-bar Cichlids

dogofwar

CCA Members
You'll know when they've spawned when the female turns slate gray. The males pretty much stay the same color.

Definitely a pair.

Matt

Nice! Your female has the black bar at the top of the dorsal that interrupts the blue border. Another female trait. Gorgeous fish. I have 4 in a 40B. a pair has formed and are digging, chasing off the other two, and doing the spawning dance. No eggs yet though.

You've never heard of Saliva cichlids they are very rare endangered species, lol. Daggon auto correct. Crazy thing is I made sure I spelled sajica correctly but didn't notice the auto correct.

By the way does anyone know if the sajica's that have been around lately are from the same suppliers? Do the ones that Jeff Rapps and, say, Dan from Florida come from the same stock? I'd like to breed sajica's but I don't want to breed siblings. Anyone know where House of Tropicals get there Central American cichlids from?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
To my knowledge, there have been no exports of sajica in many years, making most, if not all captive strains.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - they're all captive strains in the hobby.

Jeff collected a small number of wild C. sajica last year when he was down in Costa Rica but (as I understand) they didn't make it back here. I can't remember when wild sajica last were in the hobby.

I wouldn't be worries about issues with captive stock being inbred/problematic unless you start seeing issues with missing tails, gill plates and other deformities.

Matt

To my knowledge, there have been no exports of sajica in many years, making most, if not all captive strains.

lkelly

Members
I'm drooling over the thought of getting a group.

You've never heard of Saliva cichlids they are very rare endangered species, lol. Daggon auto correct. Crazy thing is I made sure I spelled sajica correctly but didn't notice the auto correct.

By the way does anyone know if the sajica's that have been around lately are from the same suppliers? Do the ones that Jeff Rapps and, say, Dan from Florida come from the same stock? I'd like to breed sajica's but I don't want to breed siblings. Anyone know where House of Tropicals get there Central American cichlids from?

QuarterMiler

Members
I started with a small group in a 40 breeder, and it looks like 2 pairs have formed, with one likely female left out. It seemed like the females were never colored, and then within weeks, both paired and colored up. They've dug sand out in 2 spots, but I've had no breeding yet. There's been no aggression at all, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled in case one pair decides to breed.

QuarterMiler

Members
congrats on having them pair up! What else is in the 40B? is it planted? is there driftwood?

It's not planted, just some slate to form small caves, with a fake plant wedged in the rocks. There is a piece of driftwood leaned against the front glass. They've dug the sand out in 3 of the 4 corners of the tank, and I'm hoping I'll be blessed with a spawn in the near future!

One of the males
DSC_0030.JPG

Female in the foreground, male in back.
DSC_0039.JPG

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
They are one of my favorite CA cichlids. I have a female and a sub dom male. They are separate because she has killed 4 males in the past. They were smaller than her. I'm hoping someone local has a male sajica available soon.