• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Crytoheros siquia "Rio Claro" Red Fin

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of my pairs of these "cons" from Honduras is on a pot full of wigglers.

These are a nice black and gray convict-type collected, I think, only once back in 2006, from the Rio Claro in Honduras. Males get about 5" and females stay quite small (~2" max). Males get really nice red in the fins as they age. They turn really black when they spawn.

Is there any interest in fry from these? I can raise some if there is.

Wish I had pictures but don't.

Thanks,
Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Give these guys a shot. They are a really nice strain of convict, with the males having a lot of red in their unpaired fins when they are adults.

Do you have pics of the parents? May be I can pick up some in the AM3 event.

I am very interested in the behavior of convict type cichlids. They form strong bond pre and post spawning. They are not big cichlds, but show no fear of bigger fish and will defend their nest vigorously. I currently have two pairs of cryptoheros panamensis, and probably one pair of Red Ceibal which amazingly are closely related to, and can cross breed with convict.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Convicts are great fish, in my opinion. All of the attitude of the large Central American cichlids in half the size. They will readily cross breed with any other cryptoheros species, but I doubt they would be successful with the red ceibals.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Crazy enough I've got some (accidentally created) Cryptoheros x Australoheros fry...

I had a male Crytoheros (Amatitlania) from Lago Coatepeque jump from the tank above into a tank of Uruguayan fish (Australoheros, Gymnogeophagus) below it. The convict lived through the winter (in which temps got down to the mid-50s).

Here's where it gets crazy: In the spring, instead of the female Chanchito (Australoheros) spawning with the male Chanchito (there was at least one), she bred with the "Lago Coatepeque" convict male...and (of course) killed everything else in the tank.

Now I have bunch of the hybrid babies growing out. I'd have to be pretty convinced that whoever wants some would keep them labeled as hybrids and/or out of venues that could result in them being falsely labeled in order to let them out of my fishroom but I've got plenty...

Matt

Convicts are great fish, in my opinion. All of the attitude of the large Central American cichlids in half the size. They will readily cross breed with any other cryptoheros species, but I doubt they would be successful with the red ceibals.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately I don't have pics of the parents... although there are some pics of the ones Ken Davis (fishfarm) collected back in 2006. I still have two original F1 males that I got from Ken in 2007 I think. Neither of these old guys breeds much anymore, but their kids do.

Matt

Do you have pics of the parents? May be I can pick up some in the AM3 event.

I am very interested in the behavior of convict type cichlids. They form strong bond pre and post spawning. They are not big cichlds, but show no fear of bigger fish and will defend their nest vigorously. I currently have two pairs of cryptoheros panamensis, and probably one pair of Red Ceibal which amazingly are closely related to, and can cross breed with convict.

Yes, it sounds impossible, but there have been reports of crossing between Crytoheros and Australoheros species that are thousand miles apart. Not sure how convict species can jump to Uraguay separated by different climate zone and vast land mass without related species.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've seen phylogentic trees that place Australoheros and Cryptoheros as sister Genera (meaning that they had a common ancestor)... which is (most likely) now extinct.

Matt

Yes, it sounds impossible, but there have been reports of crossing between Crytoheros and Australoheros species that are thousand miles apart. Not sure how convict species can jump to Uraguay separated by different climate zone and vast land mass without related species.

blkmjk

Members
Sweet! I'm still loving these cotapaque cons. I've got a pair in my umbee tank that spawn regularly. Their fry never make it and they aren't big enough to challenge the big boy. I look forward to another gun slinger to possibly make it in the other umbee tank. I would also be interested in some more of the cabayo cons haven't had luck keeping these guys around past 2".

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I dumped about 2/3 of the babies from this spawn into a tank to raise them (leaving the rest with the parents)... they should be ~3/4 - 1" in a couple of months... just in time for AquaMania :)

Matt