• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mixing rams

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I currently have 4 Bolivian Rams sharing my 45 gallon tank with a variety of Krebs. I'd like to add either German blues or Electric blues for more color diversity. Would there be any issues between them and the Bolivians?

thanks

That's a whole lot of cichlids in a 45. Depending on how well you have it 'scaped and how many sight breaks you have, you can usually do two pairs of small cichlids, although often that only works until one pair gets their big boy pants on. I personally wouldn't mix Bolivians and blue rams for esthetic reasons.

Becca

Members
I wouldn't mix Bolivians with blue rams because they have different water preferences. Bolivians are, overall, a hardier fish and are probably ok holding their own with some kribs (although that really IS a lot of cichlids in a 45, particularly if any start spawning). Both Bolivians and kribs like cooler temps (low 70's) and have a more forgiving range of acceptable water parameters. Microgeophagus ramerezi like it warmer and prefer lower pH/softer water. It's my experience that they're also more sensitive and less hardy than Bolivian rams. There's a good chance they'd get outcompeted for food in your tank.

Hannibal

Members
That's a whole lot of cichlids in a 45. Depending on how well you have it 'scaped and how many sight breaks you have, you can usually do two pairs of small cichlids, although often that only works until one pair gets their big boy pants on.

This is exactly what happened in my 40 breeder. It has plenty of plants, wood, and caves. I had a pair of german blue rams and picked up two pair of the electric blue rams at the last meeting. Everyone was living harmoniously until the german blues decided that they wanted to spawn again. I came home from work to all 4 electric blue rams dead and my german blues looking at me like they had no idea what happened.

A few days after that I came home to a dead female, which pissed me off so I gave the male to friends of mine. He now lives in a 20 gallon with some guppies and my tank is peaceful again.

Becca

Members
This is exactly what happened in my 40 breeder. It has plenty of plants, wood, and caves. I had a pair of german blue rams and picked up two pair of the electric blue rams at the last meeting. Everyone was living harmoniously until the german blues decided that they wanted to spawn again. I came home from work to all 4 electric blue rams dead and my german blues looking at me like they had no idea what happened.

A few days after that I came home to a dead female, which pissed me off so I gave the male to friends of mine. He now lives in a 20 gallon with some guppies and my tank is peaceful again.

I've had this problem with rams, in general - on multiple occasions I've had the male of a pair bully the female to the point of killing her/stressing her to death. Doesn't even seem to matter what the tank size is. When I was breeding them at the hatchery, this didn't seem to be such a problem, but we also had pairs in tanks next to each other. I'm wondering if the competition between pairs coupled with the inability to do actual harm to the competitors might have somehow helped keep everyone alive and productive.

YSS

Members
I picked up 4 German Rams and put them in my 265G. They are doing well so far. I will have to keep close eyes on them.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
OK. Looks like I'll not be adding new rams to the mix, as everyone in the tank gets along well now. Glad I asked.

Hannibal

Members
I've had this problem with rams, in general - on multiple occasions I've had the male of a pair bully the female to the point of killing her/stressing her to death. Doesn't even seem to matter what the tank size is. When I was breeding them at the hatchery, this didn't seem to be such a problem, but we also had pairs in tanks next to each other. I'm wondering if the competition between pairs coupled with the inability to do actual harm to the competitors might have somehow helped keep everyone alive and productive.

Glad to hear I am not the only one who has had this issue. Aside from someone giving me a pair of them I have put them on my "been there, done that" list and probably will not get them again. lol

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
MY Bolivian Rams are doing well with the Kribs in the 45. The males have started their lip-lock fighting right after feeding, but otherwise are doing well.