• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

55G Cichlid tank

abcdefghi

Members
About 2 weeks ago now my angelfish passed away from issues related to old age (he was 9+ years old). So, now I have a 55G that while it still has a handful of tetra's and corydoras is fairly empty looking. While I am not opposed to picking up a new angelfish, I would like to try something different. At the moment I have about a dozen tetra's (glowlight and january tetra's) and about 10 orange stripe corys. There are also 2 or 3 surviving kuhli loaches.

I am looking at pretty much anything, Blue Acara's look neat and was suggested to me on another forum. I suspect I could only keep a single in a 55G though? Looking at the cookie cutter stocking options I like the looks of Gymnogeophagus meridionalis which one of the options shows 5 of these with emporer tetras and 2 BN plecos. Would 5 of them work with my current stocking level? If I can get more than 1 Acara what is the maximum I could safely house? If only a single Acara are there any other smaller cichlids I could also put in the tank?

The tank is filtered with an Eheim 2215, planted tank with some driftwood but I am fine to add rocks for any cichlids. Pretty open to suggestions, I have 2 fairly good LFS close by so hopefully can find anything there. My only real requirements are that they fit in with the existing fish in the tank. Other than that I am really open, something bright and active is always nice!

Thanks.

Forester

Members
I had 5 full grown electric blue scar with other fish on a 75g and they were fine. It was heavily filtered, but I also only did wc's every two weeks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aqua410

Members
You can also check out blue Rams, apistogramma, keyhole cichlids, and maybe some festivums. There are definitely a few options available for that size tank just avoid anything too big. I have a single green terror in a 55 but he's the only fish in the tank.

acaras could eat ur tetras once they fit in its mouth.. but aside from that u can fit a pair of acaras in that size tank. im not great with knowing all the diff species of fish yet. But u should be able to put one pair of med to small cichlids in there. ill let some others make some suggestions.

ps if u have more than one male acara or cichlid they may become aggressive toward eatchother. At first it might be best to keep them in harem or one male to 2 or more females.

thats my 2 cents..

Forester

Members
Didn't see the type of tetras you have. Adult Acaras could definitely eat the glowlights.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Termato

Board of Directors
Some quick options to look into, although most of these are SMALL. You could always keep a pair of discus in there with your fish, although they may chase after your tetras at some point...like most larger cichlids would.
- Laetacara curviceps
- Dicrossus maculatus
- Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
- Mikrogeophagus altispinosus
- Cryptoheros nanoluteus
- Aequidens pulcher
- Apistogramma Species
- Nanacara taeniata

Batfish has a lot of these fish available. He also has Kuhli Loaches if you wanted more. I'd either go with a single cichlid, a mated pair...or over 6 of the really small ones like the German Blue Rams.

abcdefghi

Members
I had 5 full grown electric blue scar with other fish on a 75g and they were fine. It was heavily filtered, but I also only did wc's every two weeks.

I typically do weekly water changes of around 25-40% depending on the mood I am in!!

You can also check out blue Rams, apistogramma, keyhole cichlids, and maybe some festivums. There are definitely a few options available for that size tank just avoid anything too big.

This is exactly my dilemma! There are so many choices out there, I do like the GBR's although they stay fairly low in the tank.

acaras could eat ur tetras once they fit in its mouth.. but aside from that u can fit a pair of acaras in that size tank. im not great with knowing all the diff species of fish yet. But u should be able to put one pair of med to small cichlids in there. ill let some others make some suggestions.

ps if u have more than one male acara or cichlid they may become aggressive toward eatchother. At first it might be best to keep them in harem or one male to 2 or more females.

The male/female issue is definitely something I am making sure to be aware of if I get more than 1. The possibility of them eating the tetras though is somewhat off putting. My angel never bothered even small neons, but the risk was always there.

Didn't see the type of tetras you have. Adult Acaras could definitely eat the glowlights.

That definitely changes things, would hate to see the tetras be eaten!

Some quick options to look into, although most of these are SMALL. You could always keep a pair of discus in there with your fish, although they may chase after your tetras at some point...like most larger cichlids would.
- Laetacara curviceps
- Dicrossus maculatus
- Mikrogeophagus ramirezi
- Mikrogeophagus altispinosus
- Cryptoheros nanoluteus
- Aequidens pulcher
- Apistogramma Species
- Nanacara taeniata

Batfish has a lot of these fish available. He also has Kuhli Loaches if you wanted more. I'd either go with a single cichlid, a mated pair...or over 6 of the really small ones like the German Blue Rams.

I do love Discus, but I think the temperature requirements of the discus would make my cory cats very unhappy! A mated pair would be cool, but I do like the appeal of a bunch of German Blue Rams as well. Those are fun little fish, owned a couple in the past, but having a few would be neat. My only concern would be that they are mid/bottom tank dwelling.

Where is Batfish located? Somewhere in MD right?

Ian.. if I were u, I would deff consider some of the smaller cichlids. that way u could have more of them and probably more than one male. That way you will really get to see them color up and be active and show their personality more!

abcdefghi

Members
Ian.. if I were u, I would deff consider some of the smaller cichlids. that way u could have more of them and probably more than one male. That way you will really get to see them color up and be active and show their personality more!

Personality is definitely something I loved about my angel. In an ideal world I would have had a much larger tank with a handful of angels in there. Very tempted by a bunch of rams, always amused me how brave they are for their size.

The last couple I had were no more than 2" long and would chase the angel away who was every bit of 4" without including fins.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
If you want fish that swim around a bit, while not cichlids, would be giant danios or silver dollars.

Termato

Board of Directors
Personality is definitely something I loved about my angel. In an ideal world I would have had a much larger tank with a handful of angels in there. Very tempted by a bunch of rams, always amused me how brave they are for their size.

The last couple I had were no more than 2" long and would chase the angel away who was every bit of 4" without including fins.

Batfish is located in Silver Spring, MD but I'm pretty sure you have to place your order through Josh and pick them up at an event or something or get them shipped to you. He encourages people to attend meetings. Here is the website: http://www.batfishaquatics.com/

That is true that most cories don't like the highest temperatures of discus BUT there are some species that will do fine with those temperatures. For example, my Bronze Cories** hated anything above 83F but my Sterbai Cories are loving the 85F of my discus tank. I just found a warmer temperature species to go along with what I have. May be worth looking into.

When my German Blue Rams are settled in and not stressed, they swim the entire tank. They spend the majority of their time lower and middle level but they are certainly not shy. When feeding, they are first to eat. Even before the discus.

I would consider looking into Frank Cowherds' stock of German Blue Rams as I've heard he has some beautiful ones he has bred.

**I actually lost 8 Bronze Cories to a heater failure that brought the tank temperature to 88F over night. All other fish were fine but all Bronze cories died

abcdefghi

Members
If you want fish that swim around a bit, while not cichlids, would be giant danios or silver dollars.

I actually ruled out silver dollars as from everything I had read they do not mix well with live plants.

When my German Blue Rams are settled in and not stressed, they swim the entire tank. They spend the majority of their time lower and middle level but they are certainly not shy. When feeding, they are first to eat. Even before the discus.

I would consider looking into Frank Cowherds' stock of German Blue Rams as I've heard he has some beautiful ones he has bred.

Leaning towards Ram's, thinking if I pick up 6 of them and rescape the tank with rocks/driftwood/plants so that there are 3 distinct territories for them. Then it's just a case of likely figuring out an M/F ratio.

in that size tank you could add the rams as well as some dithers like the silver dollars or the giant danios. that would help keep the tank active especialy around the mid and upper regions of the tank. I had silver dollars they didnt bother the plants much. they actualy only wanted to eat the cichlid food lol

Becca

Members
Check out Guianacara stergiosi/"rio caroni," too. This is what I have in my 55 and they seem to be a good-size fish for it. Batfish may still have some from the last spawn I pulled.

abcdefghi

Members
Thanks for all the replies, lots of options is always nice! Going to visit a couple LFS tomorrow to see what I like the look of. The Ram's are likely the front runner at the moment though.

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks for all the replies, lots of options is always nice! Going to visit a couple LFS tomorrow to see what I like the look of. The Ram's are likely the front runner at the moment though.

I would advise against getting GBRs or any dwarf cichlids from LFS or big box stores. The majority of the time they are inbred and are just weak strains. I've had bad luck with any dwarf new world cichlids I haven't gotten from breeders (unless it's a trusted source). The Electric Blue Acaras I received form Batfish are doing great.

If you can help it, I'd try to get them from Frank to ensure it's health and beauty. GermanBlueRams.com is where I got mine before I found out Frank had them. My 2 cents.

Good luck!

+1 now that u r on the forum you have access too so many breeders. Nows your chance to get beautifull healthy fish u won't find in normal fish stores.

You may have to wait for a pre order list or wait for a meeting.... but it's well worth it to be patient

abcdefghi

Members
I would advise against getting GBRs or any dwarf cichlids from LFS or big box stores. The majority of the time they are inbred and are just weak strains. I've had bad luck with any dwarf new world cichlids I haven't gotten from breeders (unless it's a trusted source). The Electric Blue Acaras I received form Batfish are doing great.

If you can help it, I'd try to get them from Frank to ensure it's health and beauty. GermanBlueRams.com is where I got mine before I found out Frank had them. My 2 cents.

Good luck!

I checked with Frank he is out of stock at the moment, will take a look at that website you listed though. I have actually not had bad luck at all with the majority of fish purchased through LFS and Petco. My angel for example came from Petco.

I would definitely prefer to buy from a breeder though, not only because of the overall health but I suspect they could help out with M/F as well.