• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you sex Red Ceibal

I have 3 Red Ceibal. The largest one is 2 inch, and the other two are 1.5 inch. Lately, I notice some behavior change that may suggest that the big one is male, and the two small ones are females, but I am not certain. There has been no fighting, just some gill flaring between the big and the smaller fish. I notice the markings in the smaller fish have intensified and extend to the dorsal, but not the big fish. So is my guess correct?

It becomes more obvious that I have a male and two females. The two smaller fish began to fight each other to compete for affection from the bigger fish. I notice the assumed females have black throat, black dorsal blotches, and black stripes on the body that make them look like little Bengal tiger. The assumed male is plainer and not showing the contrasting markings at this time.