• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Texas spawn

Forester

Members
Hi everyone,

My pair of Texas spawned in my 75g aggressive new world tank and I'm not sure about what I should do with the spawn. They spawned on a huge piece of driftwood in the corner of the tank. What do you guys think I should do with them? I would love to raise the fry if I can what can I do to keep them from being eaten? Here are some pics.

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1406495355.935812.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd see if the parents can protect the eggs until they become wigglers, then siphon out the wigglers.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I agree with Jon, when my old texas would guard fry he'd get super aggressive and he wiped out all of his tank mates except for the jd he bred with and a pictus cat so you might want to divide the tank so they dont kill anything.

Forester

Members
I agree with Jon, when my old texas would guard fry he'd get super aggressive and he wiped out all of his tank mates except for the jd he bred with and a pictus cat so you might want to divide the tank so they dont kill anything.

They are keeping the other fish on the other side of the tank but the aggression is not very high and most if the other fish are just as big or bigger

Forester

Members
I can see their eyes now! I could get a foam divider and then not take out the fry if that would work better. Otherwise I'll start finding room for some more breeder boxes!

I had this problem before in my 80gl. I took the eggs out and place them in a 20long with the parents and all went well. But I do believe by me doing so the eggs hatched in two days. I'm not sure if the air caused it to speed up the process but I was shocked to see them hatch in just two days.

Forester

Members
I got the fry tank setup! The fry are starting to move around a bit but are not free swimmers yet. When do u guys think I should move them? How should I move them? Thanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are trying to save most of the spawn, siphon them out before they become free swimming. Once they are free swimming, they are much tougher to catch. Zack's suggestion of airline tubing is a good one. You could also use a turkey baster.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
If you are trying to save most of the spawn, siphon them out before they become free swimming. Once they are free swimming, they are much tougher to catch. Zack's suggestion of airline tubing is a good one. You could also use a turkey baster.

Don't know when, but I'd take a bucket and a piece of airline tubing and siphon them out into the bucket with it. Works surprisingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I agree with both of these, once the fry are free swimming it will be a nightmare to catch them all so now would be a great time to catch the little guys.