• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help please

ErnieG

Members
Ok, I set up my newly dirted tank and an algae bloom started due to the fact I had my lights on very long with not enough plants in the tank. So I treated the tank with No More Algae Tank Buddies made by Jungle, my tank cleared up but my plants started to die and some are losing leaves because I didn't read the part where it says " don't use in planted tanks".
Does anyone know how I can stop my plants from dying and losing leaves?
Can this problem even be fixed or is this a lost case?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So your plants aren't using up the excess nutrients/waste. (Causes algae bloom)

Water changes water changes water changes.(don't cut back just cuz you have plants)

Cut back on feed the fish in the tank.

Any idea what kind of algae?

As for the plants try to add air to the tank and major water changes.
Try raising the light or shorten the cycle (prevent the plants from burning, they are vulnerable)
Then start adding co2 to help the plants get photosynthesis started again.

Sorry to hear
I've got tons of carbon I'm not using

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
How long ago did you treat the tank? I suspect that by the time you're seeing the effect on the plants, the damage has been done. The active ingredients in those tablets are copper and Diuron, a broad-spectrum herbicide. http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/diuron.pdf

If I were you, I'd remove any plants you want to try to save to a separate bucket or tank of fresh water with some carbon and do what you can to provide plant CPR for them. I'd be worried that this stuff can adsorb onto soil and dirt particles. It looks to have a pretty decent half-life too. I wouldn't use that tank for plants for a while (or invertebrates ever for that matter because of the copper) and I definitely wouldn't reuse the soil.

ErnieG

Members
So your plants aren't using up the excess nutrients/waste. (Causes algae bloom)

Water changes water changes water changes.(don't cut back just cuz you have plants)

Cut back on feed the fish in the tank.

Any idea what kind of algae?

As for the plants try to add air to the tank and major water changes.
Try raising the light or shorten the cycle (prevent the plants from burning, they are vulnerable)
Then start adding co2 to help the plants get photosynthesis started again.

Sorry to hear
I've got tons of carbon I'm not using

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thanks Will, I will do what exactly what u just stated but I'm sure the algae bloom was from me not putting enough plants in my dirted tank. I never made this mistake before but so much was going on and I left my lights on for a while and I only had 2 plants in the tank lol. The algae bloom has been solve but I have to take care of the result from using the tablets.