• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chocolate Cichlids Spawning

AquaStudent

Members
Over the past nine months or so my Chocolate cichlids have spawned over half a dozen times. However, I haven't had any luck with hatching.

It seems that after a day or two the male will get spooked and eat all the eggs.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will help increase the likelihood of successful spawns?

The aquarium is a community tank so it'll be unlikely I'd be able to raise any fry in the main aquarium but I do have the ability to create a grow-out tank once they hatch (or move them earlier if need be).

20150505_124908_zpstek7uoq0.jpg

Here's a picture with the female and most recent spawn from this morning. The male is about 6" and the female is about 4". They're still quite young so they may just need experience.

AquaStudent

Members
I checked last night and the eggs were gone. Perhaps dad got hungry or a BN pleco got a nice snack. Oh well...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It's always tough to raise fry in community tanks. I'd try pulling the eggs to a separate tank.

AquaStudent

Members
It's always tough to raise fry in community tanks. I'd try pulling the eggs to a separate tank.

I don't think the fry would last long in the tank if they do hatch.

I was going to ask what would be a good method to remove the eggs but then I realized...I could just move the entire rock...

I'll try that one of these times. I suppose that's one of the downsides of community tanks, not as much of a chance for the cichlid parenting behavior.

Spine

Members
I would leave them alone, they should get it right sooner or later. If you get free swimming fry try and siphon them out. I'm thinking that letting them experience the full spawning process before moving them might get you better results, messing with spawning fish can sometimes be counterproductive