• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any info on Hoplarchus psittacus?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
I really love these cichlids and I've been wanting a pair for a while. The 120 is empty and jeff rapps has large (probably sexable) adults for sale so I think this would be the perfect time to give these guys a try
The only problem is, I have found little information about them. Also, I read that they get 15" long, is this true? Could I get away with a pair in a 5' by 18" 120 gallon?
Thanks!

JLW

CCA Members
Dan,

The parrot cichlid is one of the most incredibly beautiful cichlids out there. I've had them in stock a handful of times, and if you've got a lead on adults, go for it -- especially from Rapps! He gets some quality fish.

The adult size of these guys does push between 14-16" total length, though they're pretty slow growing. So, you could probably keep them in the 120 for a good while, and they'll probably be comfortable. However, you are going to want to move them into a larger, 24" wide tank eventually. While the 5' length is nice, and gives them plenty of room, they're going to feel like they're living in a hallway eventually. I would guess you'd have about a year to do that.

I wouldn't consider getting them unless you are prepared to have a 24" or wider tank in a year, or would be prepared to give them to me. Ermmm... find them a new home.

spazmattik

Members
+1 on slow growing. I bought my f1 from rapps when he had that 25% off sale a while back At maybe 1.5" and now its maybe 4". These guys are pretty tough too. Mine does not go out looking for fights but if someone comes near his or her log, its quick to defend and has held that spot since being in the community.. has warded off an aggressive sajica, carpintis, and its current arch nemesis bredohri.

Beatiful fish though. Jeff had larger F0 listed last i time i checked.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Grew mine from 4" to 12"+ in a bit over a year. He was in a 125 until he decided he wanted the whole thing for himself. At 14", he now resides peacefully in a friend's 265.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App