• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus spawning - When to move Fry?

AquaStudent

Members
I have a pair of Cryptoheros nanoluteus occupying a 29G planted. They have spawned a couple times before but until recently they had been sharing with a trio of sister C. nanos.

The last spawn had about a dozen or so make it a few weeks after hatching. They had achieved a size of about 2-3 mm. However, that's when I went through the tank and took out the extra females (and in the chaos I think the parents either turned on the fry or I disrupted them enough that eventually there was only one then none).

A few days ago the pair spawned again. I'd like to actually get some fry out of them this time and in order to maximize the number of fry I want to move them to a different tank.

However, I don't want to do this in a way that discourages the pair. Figured I have a few options.

Should I...

1) Remove the eggs to a grow-out tank (they spawned on a clay pot so they'd be easy to move)
2) Wait until the fry hatch, move while in wigglers stage (Too fragile at this stage?)
3) Wait until just free swimming
4) Wait until the fry are 1-2 weeks old
5) Don't move them

For those of you who like pictures

Male is on the right, female on the left. The eggs are on the side of the clay pot.

20160202_1858311_zpsvltey27e.jpg

Last edited:

AquaStudent

Members
Is removing the parents and leaving the fry in the tank an option?

I literally was going to add that as an option.

That's probably the best one assuming I can get to the parents without destroying the tank again.

I was talking to a friend and he said about 10 days is when he separates his apisto fry.

dogofwar

CCA Members
To maximize the number that you raise, just move the flowerpot of pre-swimming wigglers (or siphon them) into a bin or bare tank. You can add an airstone or sponge filter if you want.

Another approach is to add one of the other nanos (other the pair) behind a divider or in a breeder cage. The parents will be more diligent in raising the babies and not killing each other with the "threat"...

I've raised Nanos to sexable size with their parents. You need to watch that the babies don't start eating their parents.

Matt

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks guys. I think the eggs have hatched. They're down below the pot so I can't see them. My plan is to move them to the 20L on Sunday evening. I think that'll be a good balance between giving the parents their experience and not letting too many fry go unattended.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So you are moving both? I would not do that. That makes everything stressful. I would say remove the parents or the fry. Don't move both.

AquaStudent

Members
I'm not moving both. That'd be silly.

I was gone for the weekend which is why I put the move off until Monday. Glad I did. I still don't have the timing down for when the eggs hatch.

I didn't see any free swimming fry but I moved the ceramic pot and they were in the trench beneath. They were still feeding off the eggsack. I popped the siphon in there and cleaned out most of the nest. Mom and dad weren't happy but the fry are in the 20L and are now free swimming.

I think I would have preferred to give the parents some more parenting time but, as ease of removing the fry goes, I timed it perfect.

So far so good. I'll keep the posts coming with the progress.

AquaStudent

Members
Just fed some baby brine shrimp. The fry seem to be munching down well.

I missed a few fry in the main tank. I'll leave those fry in with the parents.

AquaStudent

Members
A little surprise...in my 75G New World tank I have a couple older Geophagus Red Head Tapajos, a few younger ones, and a group of small severums.

Last night I was doing a bit of work in the tank. One of the larger geo's bit me. I have never had a Geo be that aggressive. He just kept attacking my hand. It was intense.

Well, I thought the two larger Geophagus were both males but it seems I was incorrect.

The eggs seem to have mostly succumbed to fungus but it's a good sign that there were even eggs!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tony - You must be doing it right if everything is starting to spawn for you! It is pretty normal for young pairs to take a couple of times to get spawning right. Congrats!

AquaStudent

Members
Tony - You must be doing it right if everything is starting to spawn for you! It is pretty normal for young pairs to take a couple of times to get spawning right. Congrats!

Thanks. However, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

The fish do seem to be doing well. I was considering selling the two oldest Geos actually because I thought I only had one younger female in the group and that wouldn't have been a good combo. Plus, I think the younger fish are going to have better coloration. If anything they would be easier to sell as a pair rather than two males.