• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Astatheros robertsoni "Rio Jutiapa" spawn

dogofwar

CCA Members
Been growing out some F1 A. robertsoni "Rio Jutiapa, Honduras" that I got from Josh (Batfish) at the ACA in Indianapolis a couple of years ago. They're kind of like a Central American version of a Geophagus. Blue with red sides and spend a lot of time sifting the sand. My female has a fuller belly and a spot on her dorsal, especially when courting. The male' slightly larger but they're relatively non-dimorphic.

I moved the 5 of them from a 30g with a pair of C. cutteri "Rio Jutiapa" to their own 29g...and added a heater (80F). There was definitely some pair activity and maybe a spawn but no fry in the 30g tank.

The good news is that within a couple of days the pair started courting. The bad news is that they shredded the other 3. Ordinarily they're really not too aggressive.

Did a big water change last weekend and have probably been feeding more than usual (because of the blizzard). The 29g is bare except for a thin layer of PFS, a couple of flower pots and some plastic plants (and a sponge filter).

The pair cleared some sand from a circle on the floor of the tank and laid their eggs there. The female sits over it and the male comes to the glass. They're also defending from the fish in tanks on each side of them.

We'll see if they hatch!

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Great looking fish from pictures online. We need some pics of yours once the fry are free swimming!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Babies were free swimming last night. The parents keep them really close to the substrate vs. the usual cloud of fry phenomenon...

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Congrats, but why did you go to Indianapolis to get them from Josh?

Because they were Central American fish?

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Came home from work yesterday to find that the male had killed the female and the fry were gone. C'est la vie with cichlids!

Matt

lkelly

Members
Came home from work yesterday to find that the male had killed the female and the fry were gone. C'est la vie with cichlids!

Matt

Matt, remind me to never let you tell bedtime stories to my kids.

I feel like this thread should be narrated by Keith Morrison. Or even better yet, Bill Hader as Keith Morrison.

tumblr_lohzo7nW6D1qame3z.gif

dogofwar

CCA Members
They seemed to be displaying and defending against the fish in tanks on either side of them...should have kept a dither in a breeder box to keep them on point...

Matt