• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Favorite SA/CA Cichlid

AquaStudent

Members
I want to know what your favorite South American or Central American cichlid is. Pics would be appreciated :p

It's looking good for my big tank pickup and I'm looking at options.

spazmattik

Members
Istlanum! Mine are small but heres a good pic I pulled off google. I think this one belongs to OhardbodyO on youtube. beast!

maxresdefault.jpg

rich_one

Members
Red Terrors are gorgeous but they have that name for a reason right? :)

There are plenty of fish that don't have "terror" in their name that are easily 100 times meaner than any festae I've ever owned. I personally don't put a lot of stock into common fish names like "red terror" or "green terror", etc.

-Rich

Becca

Members
Do you REALLY need to ask?

Dicrossus maculatus, followed by any other Dicrossus, followed by any of the earth eaters, because fish that spit rocks/sand at you are just cool.

AquaStudent

Members
I of course need to ask Becca :) Spitting fish are fun!

Festaes get around 14-16" right? Is a 125 enough space for one with tankmates (tankmates like Severums/other midsized SA/CA cichlids, bichir, cat/fancy pleco)?

I've never seen one in person before and am having trouble visualizing. Plus, temperament is a HUGE factor with tanksize.

Jaguar cichlids are pretty too!

rich_one

Members
I of course need to ask Becca :) Spitting fish are fun!

Festaes get around 14-16" right? Is a 125 enough space for one with tankmates (tankmates like Severums/other midsized SA/CA cichlids, bichir, cat/fancy pleco)?

I've never seen one in person before and am having trouble visualizing. Plus, temperament is a HUGE factor with tanksize.

Jaguar cichlids are pretty too!

I think a 125 is fine for one with tankmates. What they get along with may be a little trial and error. I have had them get along with sevs, but I have also had some that didn't. Never kept a bichir, so cannot speak on them. I have had several festae, and have never had one bother a pleco of any kind. I've successfully kept mine with various vieja, jack dempseys, and amphilophus citranellum (not midevil, but true creamsicle midas F1 Lake Nic from Rapps), as well as with nics, sajica, lyonsi and clown loaches as well.

-Rich

AquaStudent

Members
Thanks much Rich! I would love to keep a pair but I wouldn't have anywhere to raise fry. That's kinda a major concept with keeping pairs. Plus, a "community/showcase" tank is a bit more flashy to me at the moment.

This is derailing my own thread a bit but...
I'd like to have one centerpiece fish (like the Festa) and a group of a few other smaller guys. It's probably going to be tricky to balance tankmates.

I like the look of some of the Vieja species. I also saw that Batfish can order/has Blackbelts, Blue Acara, Firemouths, and quite a few others. I may have to make a trip down to NoVA this June.

rich_one

Members
I'd stay away from black belts, but firemouths and convict-types could work. Don't know enough about acaras to say.

-Rich

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App