• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vieja/Paraneetroplus - Which is Best?

AquaStudent

Members
I've been researching a bit on some Vieja/Paraneethroplus cichlids and stumbled upon a MFK thread discussing which is the most beautiful.

I was surprised to see Vieja argentea taking the top spot for a significant number of people. I looked them up and they look pretty from the pictures but there's not much color. Many described the personality as one of the best. The shimmer is apparently spectacular too.

Tried looking for some threads of people keeping them on here but only really turned up an old Pre-order form of Josh's. Has anybody kept them? What other Vieja/Paras do you like more? (I'd even be willing to listen to what's your favorite New World cichlid :D)

I believe this is the fish which used to belong to one of the guys on YouTube I was watching. It's a pretty fish (in a huge tank too...)

9ecd376e5371efaef9aad9bc9143aed8_XL.jpg

spazmattik

Members
They are cool looking fish but like you said, with all the colorful paraneetropowhatevers there are it is a little surprising they seem to be the most popular. I have not had one but I have had guttulatus, bredohri, synspillum, regani, black belt, zonatus and bifas... seemed like they all had similar personalities, some a little more or less aggressive.

AquaStudent

Members
They are cool looking fish but like you said, with all the colorful paraneetropowhatevers there are it is a little surprising they seem to be the most popular. I have not had one but I have had guttulatus, bredohri, synspillum, regani, black belt, zonatus and bifas... seemed like they all had similar personalities, some a little more or less aggressive.

I'm currently keeping some synspillum and love them. I think the scientific name should be changed to paraneetropowhatevers. That has a much better ring and I think I could actually pronounce that

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm partial to V. regani (and have 4 in a 150g) but P. melanurus (formerly synspilus) are nice too.

Choose what YOU like and what you have tank to house. The cool fish of the week on fish web sites changes far more often than the time it takes for people to grow fish to maturity, spawn them and really get to know them...

Argentea are great fish but are 1) huge and 2) mean as crap. For that matter, most Vieja are (zonatum especially).

Matt

AquaStudent

Members
Those are gorgeous James. The argentea looks more gold than silver. Is that the lighting or does he actually have that yellow coloration.

It's interesting how fish come in and out of popularity and the spotlight. I have no idea what my favorite is because I haven't seen enough. I can't wait for the ACA!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I really like melanurus. I also enjoyed the catemaco fenestratus that I kept in the past.

Like Matt said, pick what you like go from there.

blkmjk

Members
These were my favorites by far until umbees took over. Hetros were the fanciest I kept. I liked their color and personalities. And I think at least 20% of the club has some that either came from me or Jon. LOL. Next would be melanrus quickly followed by black belts, and the list goes on and on. I would put their aggression on part with a amph imo. Once they hit 10" They want to try to take over a tank and considering most of them can reach 14" easily a very large tank is a must have for multiple adults to find peaceful cohabitation. Tparker and Rich-One on here still have community tanks with big CAs. Their input on any species your interested in would be invaluable.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've still got some breihdori and guttulatus from Drew :)

Matt

These were my favorites by far until umbees took over. Hetros were the fanciest I kept. I liked their color and personalities. And I think at least 20% of the club has some that either came from me or Jon. LOL. Next would be melanrus quickly followed by black belts, and the list goes on and on. I would put their aggression on part with a amph imo. Once they hit 10" They want to try to take over a tank and considering most of them can reach 14" easily a very large tank is a must have for multiple adults to find peaceful cohabitation. Tparker and Rich-One on here still have community tanks with big CAs. Their input on any species your interested in would be invaluable.

Drew

I currently keep Argentea, Synspilum, Melanurus, Regani, Heterospilus, 3 strains of Bifasciatum, Zonatum, Guttulatum, Breidohri, Fenestratus, Hartwegi, and Gibbiceps. They're all beautiful. They're all different. Keep all males if you want lots of them in a tank. And grow them out together if possible. Personalities differ. I' had 10 inch Blackbelt that got chased around the tank by convicts.

spazmattik

Members
I currently keep Argentea, Synspilum, Melanurus, Regani, Heterospilus, 3 strains of Bifasciatum, Zonatum, Guttulatum, Breidohri, Fenestratus, Hartwegi, and Gibbiceps. They're all beautiful. They're all different. Keep all males if you want lots of them in a tank. And grow them out together if possible. Personalities differ. I' had 10 inch Blackbelt that got chased around the tank by convicts.
Do you still have the fene i sold you? Id love to see a pic of that one now

rich_one

Members
Thanks for the nod, Drew... much appreciated! That said, I can say with confidence that Jamie has likely surpassed me in vieja/para-whatever-they-are-today species. This guy has studied this species perhaps maniacally, and as much as I feel I know about them in general, it is very possible Jamie has become CCA's resident expert, much as Drew has become CCA's resident umbee expert.

But certainly, I, and I'm sure both Jamie and Terrell, would be happy to help in any way we can!

-Rich

Those are gorgeous James. The argentea looks more gold than silver. Is that the lighting or does he actually have that yellow coloration.
A little of both. It has a gold sheen and some shadowing in the picture.

Do you still have the fene i sold you? Id love to see a pic of that one now
I sold her Matt. She spawned with everything in the tank.

That said, I can say with confidence that Jamie has likely surpassed me in vieja/para-whatever-they-are-today species. This guy has studied this species perhaps maniacally, and as much as I feel I know about them in general, it is very possible Jamie has become CCA's resident expert, much as Drew has become CCA's resident umbee expert.
Wow. High praise friend. Thanks.

AquaStudent

Members
hehe :D

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm happy to learn about everything. It's nice to see what's out there and there's no better resource than speaking with someone who has tank experience with them. Will any of you be attending the ACA this year?

@ James - On your suggestion with an all male tank is that for the same reasons as keeping an all male Aulonocara tank? Seems like a reasonable connection. I'm probably not going to be keeping an all male tank since I'm working with an empty 75 and a currently inhabited 135G but the info is nice.