• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any one else have something like this happen?

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
Many of you know that I mainly keep small fish but I recently got a big breeding pair of trimacs for my 120. They are easily my favorite fish.
So, I was feeding them some bloodworms as a sort of treat and I accidentally dropped part of the tinfoil covering in the tank and the big foot long male trimac quickely swoops in and eats the piece of tinfoil.
I start freaking out and try to scare him (chasing him around the tank with a net) to try and get him to spit it out. It didnt work. I got really worried. I later gave up chasing him with the net. I come back an hour later and I thankfully see the wadded up piece of tinfoil and him acting like normal.
Anyone else have something like that happen?
trimacs.jpg

trimacs1.jpg

trimacs.jpg

trimacs1.jpg

spazmattik

Members
nope! but at least he spit it out. nice looking pair. I thaw my blood worms in a beta cup from petsmart before putting them in the tank (1, to thaw..2 to avoid foil mishaps) ;)

chriscoli

Administrator
Not with tinfoil, but fish eat all sorts of weird things and spit them out later.

Glad that he did spit it out.

verbal

CCA Members
I think some fish have an attitude of "Eat first and decide if it is food later".

Glad to hear he spit it out. I can see why they are among your favorite fish. Although I think your new pelvicachromis might make it an even tougher choice.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Glad to hear he spit it out. I can see why they are among your favorite fish. Although I think your new pelvicachromis might make it an even tougher choice.

Thanks but I dont have any fish in the pelvicachromis genus

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've had fish do the same thing with the foil off of frozen foods. With some of my larger fish, especially from the genus amphilophus, they will smash anything that drops in the tank without hesitation. A few weeks ago, I replaced an impeller on one of my Aquaclear filters. I set the old impeller on top of the tank and it rolled across the glass top and fell into the tank by the opening for the filter. One of my citrenellums had the impeller in its mouth before it hit the bottom of the tank. Needless to say, when I tried to add some dither fish this past summer, it didn't end up well.

Glad to hear the trimac was smart enough not to eat the foil. Be careful with the pair and have a divider ready. It would suck to come home to a dead female.

blkmjk

Members
My fish pound everything that hits the water. Although they won't hesitate to strike they are typically smart enough to recognize that what they have isn't food. At that point they let go.

Drew

Foil

I use small dip cups ( ones used to put ketchup in to dip fries) get a sample of tank water and then put my frozen Bloodworms or Brine Shimp in the cups and let it sit for a few minutes before feeding. I do this for two reason:

1. This allows the frozen block to thraw so that every fish has a chance to get some of the treat (learned awhile ago that the big fish usually eats the block :eek:). Plus I do not feel comfortable dropping something that cold in my tank for my fish to eat.

2. So that I don't drop foil in my tank, I have two left hands sometimes :lol: