• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Angelfish and Acaras Breeding

Termato

Board of Directors
Before I went on my trip to Brazil, both my acaras and angelfish had fry. They got to free swimming but the parents ended up eating them. I didn't want to separate them because I was leaving the next day.

Unfortunately, all the fry are gone and eaten. I lost two acaras while I was in Brazil. The fish sitter did their best but I still lost some fish.

All the angelfish fry got eaten. I'm going to have to separate them.

Here is the video. Maybe once I get then to be of size, I can join BAP ;)
hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSyspJvqfw

Termato

Board of Directors
y did the acara die?

Somehow the tank got ich. It took out both females in that tank :( Those two fish might end up going into my community tank in a couple of weeks. Don't know if I should try to keep breeding those that went through that.

You remember when you came over the the rainbow cichlid tank from work had ich? I think somehow during them taking care of my tanks, the ich transferred to the acara tank. I don't know how because I set up everything for them so it wouldn't happen. That tank was so clean...

The only other fish I lost were those rainbows.

Last edited:
Dang thats a bummer! Every time I've noticed ich on my fish, I've treated with salt and high temp and always after a week or so its gone. Maby i just noticed it early... or got lucky.

but the ich could have come from the female being stressed after spawning and the male harassing her. that happend to me before.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
Ich happens this time of year because of the widely fluctuating ambient temperature. Even with heaters in tanks, ich happens.

Termato

Board of Directors
Ich happens this time of year because of the widely fluctuating ambient temperature. Even with heaters in tanks, ich happens.

Could the same be said about things that trigger breeding like when it snows outside?

That's really interesting.

Becca

Members
Could the same be said about things that trigger breeding like when it snows outside?

That's really interesting.

I mean, sure, I guess, but it's not quite the same issue. Odds are ich is always present in your tank in some form, even if it's not, cross contamination is easy.

If conditions are good, your fish won't catch it even if it is present in the tank. If something happens that makes conditions more ideal for infection/friendlier for ich, the fish might get it. Temperature fluctuations are one of those things, plus cooler temperatures are friendlier to ich. High temperatures will kill it or at least speed its life cycle so medications kill it faster. Fish that are breeding are already stressed, so may be more susceptible to illness. Spring time is prime-time for ich, especially in smaller tanks that have a harder time maintaining temperature. All it takes is forgetting to close a window at night.

Breeding is more related to an influx of CLEAN cool water than just temperature fluctuations. I'd imagine some fish anticipate that influx based on temperature fluctuations and/or barometric pressure, but I'm not sure this has actually been proven.

rpitonyak

Members
This is interesting. I have been noticing even with heaters my tanks will fluctuate 1-2 degrees depending on the outside temperature. I may have to adjust my heaters for warmer weather when it comes around.

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks for the information, Becca! That is some very good information.

My angels keep eating their free swimmers after about 2-3 days. I'm going to separate the next batch as soon as they are swimming.

Becca

Members
This is interesting. I have been noticing even with heaters my tanks will fluctuate 1-2 degrees depending on the outside temperature. I may have to adjust my heaters for warmer weather when it comes around.

Some fluctuation is OK, it's natural, but when you have big swings it can lead to temperature drops, especially in tanks that are smaller or near windows. Smaller heaters, or heaters that are not adjustable can really struggle to compensate.

During the summer (once the house is consistently 70 degrees or warmer) I unplug all of my heaters. Most years, I'd have already done that, but the crazy swings right now have delayed it. In my "fish room" I have powerstrips dedicated entirely to heaters so I can make my life easy and just unplug the strips from the main outlet, rather than figure out which cord goes where.

Termato

Board of Directors
Some fluctuation is OK, it's natural, but when you have big swings it can lead to temperature drops, especially in tanks that are smaller or near windows. Smaller heaters, or heaters that are not adjustable can really struggle to compensate.

During the summer (once the house is consistently 70 degrees or warmer) I unplug all of my heaters. Most years, I'd have already done that, but the crazy swings right now have delayed it. In my "fish room" I have powerstrips dedicated entirely to heaters so I can make my life easy and just unplug the strips from the main outlet, rather than figure out which cord goes where.

With a room temperature in the 70s and no heaters plugged, do your tanks stay above 80F? I have to keep a few of my tanks in the mid 80s.

Does the fish room get hotter than other rooms because of all the concentrated tanks?

Becca

Members
With a room temperature in the 70s and no heaters plugged, do your tanks stay above 80F? I have to keep a few of my tanks in the mid 80s.

For fish that require temperatures that high, I leave heaters on - so the tank with Discus, the tank with the Biotoecus opercularis, and my husband's paludarium. Larger tanks will likely never reach 70 if that's the coolest the house is getting and it's allowed to get warmer during the day because they take a substantial amount of time to cool. During the day our AC is set between 75-78 when it's hot out, overnight 72-75. Perfectly suitable ranges for most tropical fish.

Does the fish room get hotter than other rooms because of all the concentrated tanks?

A little bit, yes, but it's also a closed room where the hot water heater and heat pump/HVAC system are located. It doesn't get that much warmer, but it stays warm enough that I don't bother heating tanks with shrimp, white cloud minnows (they can over winter), or celestial pearl danios at any point during the year.