Filter Intake/Output Placement

Where do you place inputs/outputs when using multiple filters?

• Inputs on one side, Outputs on the other.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Inputs of different filters on opposite sides of the tank.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Whatever is most practical when the filter is set up.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I just set up my new FX5 this morning, and it made me consider placement of my input and output tubes. I ended up putting the input/outputs on the same sides of the tank as the existing canister filter that I have set up on the tank. My thought was that if I put the input of one filter next to the output of another filter, I would increase the percentage of "clean" water that was going through the filter.

I thought I'd ask the question of others on the forum to see if there is a preference/rationale behind doing it one way or the other. So, on a tank with multiple filters, do you:

1. Place inputs for all filters on one side and outputs on the other.
2. Place inputs for filters on opposite sides of the tank.
or
3. Never really put much thought behind it and did was was most practical.

lonlangione

Members
I have always put the intake on one side and the output on the other side. I also always make sure that the intake is as close to the gravel level as possible.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Wouldn't you want to increase the dirty water going through the filter?

I set the intakes on one side and the outlets on the other to blow the crud to the intakes.

That was my thought. If you put the intake from filter A next to the output from filter B, then you would be sucking clean water into the filter. i did as you, and put the inputs from both on one side and the outputs on the other side. I am using power heads to increase movement of crud across the tank to the inputs.

I'd be interested to hear from those who voted for putting the inputs on opposite sides of the tank the benefits to that configuration.

NYfan78

Members
Inputs on oposite sides of the tank suck up dirty wster for both sodes of the tank. If i had too csnisters i would plsce the intakes on either side of the tank brace in the mide and place the outputs on both ends of the tank in the corners pointing diag out into the middle of the tank. But i only have 2 AC70s on both sidesof the tank. Just me 2 cents.